Dr. Etienne Hugo is one of only 26 lawyers accredited as a specialist in Immigration Law by the Law Society of New South Wales. As a practitioner in Immigration Law, he is also a registered migration agent (MARN: 0004435) and a member of the Migration Institute of Australia (MIA: 1057).
Dr. Hugo has worked exclusively in Immigration Law. Before his current role, Dr. Hugo was a Senior Associate Lawyer within a high profile immigration firm in Sydney. He has a doctorate of law (LLD) degree from the University of Pretoria, South Africa where he is licensed as an Advocate of the High Court of South Africa and is a solicitor of the High Court of Australia. Dr. Hugo is also an adjunct lecturer at the Australian National University (ANUCollege of Law) where he teaches in a postgraduate program for aspiring migration agents.
Dr. Hugo worked as a lecturer at the University of Pretoria’s Department of Private Law, while also completing his doctoral studies. He obtained a scholarship to carry out his doctoral research in Amsterdam and Rotterdam, Netherlands in 1997.
Dr. Hugo also lectured in Private Law at the Vista University as well as Business Law at the Mentor Business College in South Africa. Dr. Hugo then commenced his legal practice in Sydney, Australia and has worked exclusively in Australian immigration law since 2000.
Dr. Hugo and Mr. Versfeld established Versfeld and Hugo, LLC in January 2007 to assist clients on a global scale with regard to immigration matters within the United States and Australian jurisdictions
Dr. Hugo also serves as the legal practitioner director of Teleo Group Pty Ltd.
- Member of the Law Society of NSW.
- Migration agent (MARN: 0004435).
- Member of the Migration Institute of Australia (membership: 1057).
- Advocate of the High Court of South Africa.
- Legal practitioner of the High Court of Australia
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales (Australia).
- Baccalaureus Legum Civilum (BLC) – University of Pretoria, South Africa (1993) (Cum laude)
- Baccalaureus Legum (LLB)University of Pretoria, South Africa (1995) (Cum laude)
- Legum Doctor (LLD) University of Pretoria, South Africa (2000)
- Transvaal Lawyer’s AssociationPracticalTraining School (1999)
Afrikaans, English and Dutch